A picture of the local baseball diamond in Elizabethville, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. This was the first field constructed primarily for baseball and was a result of the formation of the Twin County Baseball League which Elizabethville joined. It was in Memorial Park in Elizabethville and included a grandstand which was built into a hill. The diamond then faced northwest.
On 28 February 1921, representatives from each of six towns – Elizabethville, Tower City, Williamstown, Lykens, Millersburg and Halifax – met at the Glen House in Lykens and agreed to form the Twin County Baseball League. Forty games were scheduled (two each week) for the season. Elizabethville finished in last place that first year, but the second year, the team won the twin county championship – then went on that same year to play the champions of other counties was was successful in defeating teams from other parts of Dauphin County, and from Perry County and Juniata County as well.
In 1950, with the help of equipment from the Pennsylvania Supply Company of Harrisburg, owned by Congressman Walter M. Mumma, the field was reconstructed by removing a large portion of the bank. The diamond was then re-oriented to face southwest and the grandstand was rebuilt on the north side.
Corrections and additional information should be added as comments to this post.
The photo was originally published on page 119 of History of Elizabethville, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 1817-1967. To obtain a copy of an exact reproduction of that book, visit the web site of the Elizabethville Area Bicentennial.