A section of South Market Street, Elizabethville, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, is shown in this panoramic photograph, as it winds north through the center of the picture – and becomes North Market Street.
According to the caption with the photo:
Central section of Elizabethville looking north in 1911. Lower center is original railroad station on north side of tracks; brick building with dome in center of picture is Lykens Valley Bank.
Technically, the building shown as the first railroad station was actually the first railroad building along the tracks. It was built in 1858 and served the community until the 1872 building was built on the north side of the tracks. The first building in use as a railroad structure was built in the 1830s and became the agent’s headquarters in the 1840s. It was located several blocks away from the two buildings that served as stations.
Corrections and additional information should be added as comments to this post.
This photo was originally published in a History of Elizabethville, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 1817-1967. To obtain a copy of an exact reproduction of that book, visit the web site of the Elizabethville Area Bicentennial.