The Old Stone Church remained the only public school site in Elizabethville, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, until the early 1860s, when land was donated by Adam Q. Bender at the southeast corner of Broad and Bender Streets, across the street from the church. A building dedicated exclusively for schooling was built there.
One of the first teachers at this second public school was James Miller.
But by 1870, this second public school building became too small and it was replaced by a new brick building on the northwest corner of Main and Church Streets (currently 201-203 West Main Street).
No photograph has been seen of this second public school and it is not known for certain when the building was demolished.
The location of the second school is marked on the map cut above. It is presently the site of the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
For further information about education and religion in Elizabethville, contact the Elizabethville Area Historical Society, 100 E. Main Street, Elizabethville, Pennsylvania 17023.
Corrections and additional information should be added as comments to this post.