Harry H. Weaver
Mr. Weaver is a native of Elizabethville where he has resided all his life.
At the age of 12 he became a telegraph operator and took charge of the Western Union Telegraph office then in his father’s store. Afterwards took charge of the Freight and Ticket Office of the Pennsylvania Railroad at Elizabethville.
He was connected with a number of industries of Elizabethville among which are the following:
In 1875 he organized the Victor Printing Company which he owned. He printed a number of books for the novelty trade as well as the first newspaper for the town a monthly known as the Owl afterwards The Monthly Independent. Then printed The Weekly Independent. Then printed the The Weekly Democrat for Captain J. A. Ettinger in 1879 which he afterwards continued as The Weekly Independent.
He was one of the organizers of the Elizabethville Water Company, also of the Reliance Hose Company Number 1, of which he is now and has been the treasurer from the time of its organization.
In 1885 he organized the Lykens Telegraph and Telephone Company, of which he was General Manager until the same was merged with the United Telephone Company. He built the first telephone lines in the Upper End of Dauphin County and Western Schuylkill County.
In 1887 he entered the firm of Fred Weaver and Son, General Merchants and Weaver and Son Distillers, who succeeded Weaver and Gilbert, originally organized in 1873.
He organized the First National Bank of Elizabethville, Pennsylvania, in 1900, of which he was a director for many years.
He is at present the owner of Weaver and Son dealers in coal and merchandise and is connected with the Rossman-Weaver Company and the Weaver Apparel Company, who have seven shirt factories in operation – Elizabethville, Berrysburg, Enders, Rife and Klingerstown.
He built many houses for the working men payable on the building and loan plan at cost which enabled them to own their own homes.
From: “Who’s Who in Elizabethville, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania,” Lykens-Williams Valley History-Directory and Pictorial Review, by J. Allen Barrett, published in 1922.
Corrections and additional information should be added as comments to this post.