A photograph of the old hotel on the northeast corner of the Crossroads and the main street of Loyalton, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, taken about 1890, shortly after it was purchased by David Franklin Hoffman and Caroline [Witman] Hoffman.
In 1889, the Hoffman’s had partnered in the hotel on this property with Jacob Messner, but by 1892, Messner bought them out. Shortly afterward David F. Hoffman died. While owner, during the late 1890s, Messner sold to Jonathan Zerbe, his brother-in-law, who at first partnered with him in the business. It then became Zerbe’s Hotel, but in the early 1890’s, when owned by the Hoffman’s, it was known as the Loyalton Hotel. After Jonathan Zerbe took full possession of the hotel, he purchased two adjoining lots on 29 September 1903.
The Zerbe family then operated the hotel for many decades, with the hotel eventually transferring to the Clyde Snyder family in 1960, when it became Snyder’s Hotel.
None of the persons in the photo have been identified.
Corrections and additional information should be added as comments to this post.