The following unpublished history was found of the Kessler School (also known as the Erdman School), Erdman, Lykens Township, Pennsylvania. Its authorship is unknown.
KESSLER SCHOOL HISTORY
In 1913 the Lubold School became overcrowded. Some of the students went to school in the old farmhouse for one year, 1913-1914, until they had a new schoolhouse constructed across the street along the Erdman Road. Later in 1952, a new bridge was built to replace the old red [covered] bridge and at the same time the schoolhouse was moved back to cut off the bank and straighten the Erdman Road.
The 1914-1915 term was the first year of school held at the new Kessler school. The Kessler School did not close its doors until the conclusion of the 1957-1958 year.
The 80 perches of land where the school house was originally built was bought from C. Henry Kessler. Later land was bought from Roy Umholtz to move the school house away from the road.
Henry Kessler and Mary Kessler bought the Moses Klinger farm from Elmira Williard who inherited it from her parents. Later they sold the remainder of the farm to their son Charles Kessler and his wife Meta Kessler around 1920. After the death of Charles Kessler, Meta Kessler sold the land to Roy Umholtz.
in 1903 the estate of Moses Klinger transferred 34 acres to Elmira Williard.
In 1864 George Klinger and his wife Elizabeth Klinger conveyed 103 acres, 63 perches to Moses Klinger.
In 1831, John Philip Klinger and his wife Catherine Klinger conveyed to George Klinger.
Philip Klinger and his wife Eve Elizabeth Klinger were in possession until 1810 when it was conveyed to their son John Philip Klinger.
The land was patented to Philip Klinger by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on 13 May 1796, recorded in Patent Book W-28-309, known as Union.