On 24 November 1930, the Harrisburg Evening News reported on the dedication of the Revoutionary War Monument at the Hoffman Cemetery in Lykens Township, Dauphin County. The post office address of Loyalton was named as the location of the monument rather than the political subdivision where it was actually located.
BOULDER MARKS RESTING PLACE OF 1776 HEROES
One of the few memorials to Revolutionary heroes in this part of the country, a huge boulder taken from the Susquehanna River, was to be unveiled at 2:15 o’clock this afternoon in Hoffman’s Cemetery at Loyalton, near Millersburg, where nine soldiers of the conflict that won the Nation independence are buried.
The monument was to be unveiled by Mrs. May Hoffman Hammaker, of Middletown, great-granddaughter of John Nicholas Hoffman, one of those commemorated on the tablet, and a member of the Harrisburg chapter of the D.A.R., which erected the marker in cooperation with the State.
Adjutant General Frank D. Beary was to deliver an address at the brief exercises marking the unveiling, and Alvin Hoffman was to read a history of the church and its vicinity.
The boulder, placed to the right of the cemetery entrance, bears the names of the following soldiers: Capt. John Hoffman; John Nicholas Hoffman; John Bordner; Nicholas Bordner; Daniel Andrews; Mathias Deibler; John Huber; Henry Umholtz; and John Peter Williard.
The news article incorrectly reported Andreas Daniel’s name as “Daniel Andrews.”