The Lykens Township Revolutionary War Memorial is located at the St. Peter (Hoffman) Church Cemetery, Lykens Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.
During the term of Pennsylvania Governor John Stuchell Fisher, 1827-1931, money was appropriated to provide suitable markers for the graves of men who were veterans of the Revolutionary War. Accordingly, the Harrisburg Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, under the guidance of Mrs. J. A. W. Brubaker, diligently searched to locate all graves of men who served from the Upper End of Dauphin County. Mrs. Brubaker concluded that at least seven soldiers and possibly as many as twelve were buried in the Hoffman Cemetery, but not all the graves were marked.
A large boulder, taken from the Susquehanna River by ferry Captain Warren Hunter and his son Robert Hunter, was selected for the monument. The stone weighed 5000 pounds, was four feet wide, 6 1/2 feet high, and 15 inches deep. It was put in place by monument dealer Guy L. Heckert of Millersburg.
To the stone was affixed a bronze plaque with the following inscription, which included nine names:
ERECTED BY THE COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA IN GRATEFUL APPRECIATION OF THE SERVICES OF THESE SOLDIERS OF THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR WHO LIE BURIED HERE
Capt. John Hoffman (1746-1831)
John Bordner (1758-1812)
Nicholas Bressler (1751-1825)
Andreas Daniel (1757-1841)
Mathias Deibler (1763-1837)
John Nicholas Hoffman (1749-1814)
Jacob Huber (1756-1849)
Henry Umholtz (17_-1829)
John Peter Willier (1745-1821)
LOCATED AND VERIFIED BY THE HARRISBURG CHAPTER D.A.R.
The monument was dedicated on 24 November 1930.
Some time after the dedication of the monument, two additional Revolutionary War veterans were discovered who were buried in Hoffman’s Cemetery:
Peter Schoffstall (1740-1815) – Unmarked Grave
Henry Hartman (14 October 1752- 14 October 1836) – New Marker
The name of a twelfth veteran has still not been verified.