A photograph, taken about 2000, of one of the first Amish, one-room schoolhouses built in the central Lykens Valley. It is located on a farm owned by the Samuel Stolzfus family in Specktown, Lykens Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.
Since arriving in the Lykens Valley in 1975, the Amish have organized their religious and educational activities into districts. The school pictured above is one of two facilities in the Crossroads District, which is roughly bounded by Indian Trail Road on the south, Crossroads on the west, Luxemburg Road on the north and North Center Street (Gratz) on the east.
The building is used for a basic education for Amish children during the week and as a place of worship on Sunday, as well as a meeting place for families in the Crossroads District.
The farm on which the school is located was owned by John Hoover Sr. in 1875, and later by others including Edward Dietrich and Jennie [Keiper] Dietrich, and Lincoln O. Leffler and Ellen M. [Bahner] Leffler, who sold the farm to Samuel Stolzfus in 1979.
Corrections and additional information should be added as comments to this post.