Standing proudly, polished and clean, in West Park of Market Square in Millersburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, is the Civil War Soldier Monument. West Park is dedicated to the veterans from the Millersburg and Upper Paxton Township area.
A marker-tablet, adjacent to the monument, tells the following:
The G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Post 212 and the Millersburg Sentinel together have raised the money to have a Civil War monument erected…. The soldier arrived in Millersburg in August 1913 and was erected in October 1913 in West park by J. S. Heckert, a local marble dealer. The dedication was to be held on Thanksgiving, but was postponed until May 30, 1914. The unveiling was done by Florence [Cordes] Jusy, daughter of Henry Cordes, veteran and active member of the G.A.R. post. The speaker for the occasion was Pennsylvania Adjutant General Thomas J. Stewart.
A photograph of the members of the G.A.R. Post 212 who were present at the unveiling is also included on the marker as is an old picture post card view of West Park in 1900 showing the Governors Island Cannon.
A big challenge to anyone is to name all the veterans in the photograph. But, unless someone has previously identified all the G.A.R. members in the 1914 photo, it may be very difficult to identify them now. Perhaps articles appeared in local newspapers, particularly in the Millersburg Sentinel which helped raise funds for the monument. Any responses with further information are very welcome and a number key is provided below to reference specific names with a location in the photograph.
A better copy of the photograph is available in the collection of the Historical Society of Millersburg and Upper Paxton Township.
This information previously appeared on 3 December 2010 on the Civil War Blog: