This re-touched photograph is of the Henninger Covered Bridge, Washington Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. It shows what the bridge may have looked like around 1910. At the time of this writing, it is the only covered bridge crossing in the Lykens Valley. In 1972, Hurricane Agnes destroyed nine of the other covered bridges. Although the Henninger Bridge escaped serious damage in that storm, what remained of the bridge in 2003 was completely replaced by a new bridge – an exact replica of the original. Engineers had determined that a combination of inappropriate repairs, rot and insect damage had made the old bridge unsafe, irreparable, and not worth preserving in that state. In addition, on 3 December 2000, arsonists attempted to destroy what was left of the bridge resulting in heavy damage. Therefore, during the summer and fall of 2003, the old structure was completely removed and the new bridge reconstructed with all new wood.
At this site there also exists a modern, uncovered span for everyday traffic to cross the Wiconisco Creek, and the re-constructed covered bridge is not accessible to motor vehicle traffic. The uncovered span was constructed in 1991 with a bypass around the old covered bridge.
According to Covered Spans of Yesteryear, the new covered bridge cost $254,360 and was constructed by a firm from Mifflintown, Pennsylvania. It was dedicated by the Dauphin County Commissioners on 20 November 2003.
There are direction signs at the intersection of Raker’s Mill Road and Route 209 in Washington Township to this tourist attraction.
Corrections and additional information should be added as comments to this post.
Henninger Farm Bridge. (New, Replica)
Henninger Farm Bridge. (Original)