Lykens Valley: History & Genealogy
  • Home
  • About
  • Categories
    • Commerce
    • Communications
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Farming
    • Genealogy
    • Government
    • Labor
    • Memories
    • Military
    • Mining
    • Organizations
    • Religion
    • Resources
    • Sports
    • Transportation
  • Civil War Blog
  • PA Historian
  • Contact

Millersburg – Daniel Miller Memorial Fountain, 2011

A photograph taken in March 2011 of the Daniel Miller Memorial Fountain, Millersburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.

In Honor of Daniel Miller

Founder of Millersburg, 1807

 

Historical Marker

After the 1907 Centennial celebration, the committee decided to use the money that was left after the bills were paid to erect a memorial to Daniel Miller, founder of Millersburg.  After the design of a granite fountain was agreed upon, the committee placed and order with the Barre Granite Company of Barre, Vermont.  They were to cut the separate parts of the fountain, and J. S. Heckert & Son were to assemble the parts and construct the memorial.  Where to put the memorial was debated for almost a year.  It was finally decided to build a grass plot between East and West parks and place the memorial in the center.  In September 1908 the borough council decided to pave the street between the two parks and put curbing around the island.  By October 1908 the erection of the fountain was completed.  When finished it was eleven feet high with a base eight feet, six inches, by ten feet.  The pilasters were seven feet from cap to base and the bowl in the center was highly polished granite two feet in diameter and three feet high with a working fountain for drinking.  The  total weight of the memorial was fifteen tons and the cost was $1,000.

Originally a bust of Daniel Miller as a soldier was to be placed atop the fountain, but money could not be raised for this project.

The Daniel Miller Memorial Fountain was dedicated on May 31, 1909, Memorial Day that year, with exercises at the music pavilion in East Park.  Mr. Philip Moyer Sr. gave the address to a crowd of 900 people.  S. S. Bowman, chairman of the centennial committee made the presentation of the memorial to H. M. Fairchild, the burgess, who accepted on behalf of the borough council.

____________________________________________

Corrections and additional information should be added as comments to this post.

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook

Like this:

Like Loading...

Related

Millersburg
May 1, 2023 Norman Gasbarro

Post navigation

Dalmatia – American Legion Drink Tokens (1) → ← Shamokin – Eighth Street from Independence Street

Email notification of new posts

Places

Ashland Bear Gap Berrysburg Dalmatia Elizabethville Erdman Fisherville Gordon Gratz Halifax Halifax Township Hegins Hegins Township Herndon Hubley Township Jackson Township Killinger Klingerstown Lenkerville Loyalton Lykens Lykens Township Matamoras Mifflin Township Millersburg Muir Orwin Pillow Pine Grove Porter Township Reinerton Sacramento Shamokin Specktown Spring Glen Tower City Tremont Upper Paxton Township Valley View Washington Township Wayne Township Wiconisco Wiconisco Township Williamstown Williams Township

Categories

  • Commerce
  • Communications
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Farming
  • Genealogy
  • Government
  • Labor
  • Memories
  • Military
  • Mining
  • Organizations
  • Religion
  • Resources
  • Sports
  • Transportation
  • Unidentified

Categories

  • Commerce
  • Communications
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Farming
  • Genealogy
  • Government
  • Labor
  • Memories
  • Military
  • Mining
  • Organizations
  • Religion
  • Resources
  • Sports
  • Transportation
  • Unidentified

RSS Feeds

  • RSS - Posts
  • RSS - Comments

Copyright 2016-2024, Norman Gasbarro, Philadelphia, PA

Site Created by Brian Tomlin

Archives

Powered by WordPress | theme Layout Builder
 

Loading Comments...
 

    %d